Thursday, November 24, 2005

I'm blind...I'M BLIND!!!

I was at a party, and it was a very chilled out affair. Just the way I like it. I remember things being confortable. For example, the lighting was mellow, and people were drinking and smoking but no one was anywhere near being too drunk and on the verge of tossing the salad and/or cookies. He he he. The music seemed to be 'house' and the overall feeling was one of being relaxed. People dressed up pretty casually, etc.

The location seemed to be a house, or one that was being rented specifically for this party. Most of the people at the party seemed to be from Kodai school, although I could've sworn that I caught glimpses of some folks from CAE, Bangalore and a few bradahs from HPU. Anyway, staying in that house meant the guys had to split the bedrooms on the ground floor between them, while the girls did the same with the rooms on the first floor. As I was getting ready for bed, I noticed that my face looked a little haggard. So I turned around and asked the first person within earshot if they could confirm the piteous plight of my face. They said yes, and even handed me some cream or gel that they thought would provide rapid relief. Not being paticularly ungrateful, I thanked them and was about to go put some on. I don't remember who this was, but I remember it was a guy, so my initial reaction when he handed me the cream was, "WTF?"

But just as I was about to go into the bathroom across the hall to apply some of this 'wonder' stuff, I was intercepted by this girl I really liked. In fact, she was there with a friend and they both happened to hear the most important points of my conversation with my 'buddy'; my face looked like shit and something needed to be done. So, the whole list of suggestions began, and many jars/bottles/packs etc. came out of what seemed to be two petite, yet somehow unbelievably bottomless handbags! Finally, and without consulting me, they decided on a gel product which they both swore by...so...I said ok. And they asked me to close my eyes and just relax because it would take only a second to apply, but I had to leave it on overnight, or something like that. So, I said alright and bade them goodnight. I mean, I didn't need my eyes open while I slept, right? I remember it burned a bit, and I even wondered if they were messing with me and applying hemorrhoid cream under the eyes. This was surprising because I'd never done it myself, but I guess I was going on the whole 'by-association' thing...s/he told me it burns, so it must...that sort of a thing.

Well, it wasn't really hemorrhoid cream, but whatever it was when I woke up in the morning and opened my eyes I found that all I could see was white! A sudden feeling of fear gripped me, but only momentarily. Before I knew it, the-girl-I-really-liked and her friend had burst into the bedroom, and I could feel them come bouncing up to me full of glee. But as soon as they got to within five feet of me, the glee in their vioces turned to shock and horror. Pretty soon everyone was awake and freaking out. Pandemonium ensued with people getting into arguments about the next step: Sue the manufacturer or call an ambulance. There were others consoling me, and still others were doing the whole 'headless chicken' kind of panicking.

But throughout it all I remember I was very calm. I also remember that this girl I liked was apologizing profusely and shedding tears galore, as was her friend. But I didn't mind. In fact, the scary thing for me was that I didn't even care that I had lost my sight. No. Having lost my sight I found that the 'whiteness' everywhere was very soothing and it made me want to tell everyone that I was ok and that they should all chill out. But everytime I opened my mouth I found that I was being drowned out by the cacaphony that had suddenly engulfed me.

So, that was wierd. I never thought I'd be blind and loving it. In fact, I think I place a lot of importance in my eyes in everyday life. I like to check how far away I can see without the image being blurry, or I like to try and read extremely small print to test them out. So, in light of that, it seemed like a total turn around.

5 comments:

Indo Dreamin' said...

I think it all boils down to one thing.... LOVE IS BLIND YAAR!!!! seriously though, very tripy.

AmitD said...

Damn dude... that is very wild. Getting all the attention from the chick you like but for the wrong reasons. That just ain't right.

Unknown said...

Blinded by love, and now a blind fool...hahaha. Hopefullly not man. But you know what, it's alright. I'd rather be a blind fool in love... And it's not about being right, bro...nothing wrong with it if you love it, right? Might as well face it, I'm addicted to love...or being blinded by love. Hahaha...

mogs said...

Your dream made for a nice story though....

All we need is lowe (sindhi pronunciation on the love/lowe)....

Unknown said...

Thanks Ro. Very touched that you said that. And you're absolutely right to echo the Beatles in saying, "All You Need Is Lowe"...although they said it differently. ;-)