Friday, May 05, 2006

Sachin who???

I finally remembered a dream last night, and what a nice dream it was too! Not sure if most of you know but I have been playing cricket since I was ten years old in boarding school in India, so it's no surprise that I am a big fan of the game.
Ok, now to the dream. India is playing a nationally televised cricket match against New Zealand... I think, and I (of all people) have been selected to play for India. They bat first, and amass a pretty high score, which we have to chase down. We start off well going at a pretty high pace, but then the wickets start to tumble and the run chase starts to stumble. Next thing you know, it's my turn! I think I am 6th down or something and I join Mr. Dhoni on the pitch!
I am frickin nervous walking on the field and keep wondering how I look on TV. We are wearing these navy blue team uniforms instead of the usual sky blue. I could see myself walking on the field in full battle gear (pads, helmet etc) with my name clearly on the back...DHAWAN!! haha. I arrive at the stumps and am sooo glad to see that I am facing a spinner rather than a pace bowler coz I hate pace bowling (probably due to the fact that it doesn't have to bounce too high to take my head off). Anyway, I go through my first over barely managing to keep the spinner at bay while keeping in mind that we need to keep scoring runs. I get through that over and have to face a medium pacer next. His first ball comes angling towards my leg side and I see everything in slow motion at this point. The ball looks the size of a basketball and I take a massive swing at it. This is where you would think I fuck up massively right? Hell no baby!! I hammer that bastard for a six!! That settles me down and over the next 40 odd balls, I manage to make around 27 runs. The manner of my getting out was so weird though. The spinner flicks the ball to me and I block it but it starts rolling towards my wickets. I swipe the ball away clearly before it hits the stumps but i still see the stumps move. I look behind me and instead of seeing the wicket keeper, i see two umpires standing right there. They both say OUT! and I'm standing there wondering what the hell they are talking about, but alas that was the end of my adventure. I still walk off pretty happy with my international ODI debut. I remember going online to cricinfo.com just to see my name on the score sheet...haha
I woke up with no alarms ringing or anything but rather with a nice peaceful feeling. Only hope the rest of the day is so peaceful, but I doubt it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, I hope your day went well, first up. And secondly, you're right when you said Sachin who. He he he. Pretty good stuff man. And 27 off 40 balls is stellar stuff, even by international cricket standards. Cool!