Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Delayed Reaction

Man, I had a totally weird dream 2 nights ago.

Before I get into the dream, let me take you back to reality a few years ago.

My good friend Mike D, who now lives in Manila, used to study at HPU the same time that I used to as well. Now, he was quite an NBA junkie. When I came to Hawaii so many years ago, I was a football (soccer) junkie. Of course, on the ever so wordly American TV, they harldy showed any international football. Mike D and I would hang out quite often and were even roommates for a certain period of time. So, due to the lack of good quality international football, I was subjected to the bloody NBA. I felt so repressed (I had issues I tell you). NBA this NBA that...gaddamit....I felt I couldn't express myself through football and of course, after a while, I had a point to prove (oh jeez...how infantile I tell u...haha). I wanted to show Mike D that football was a worldly, more passionate sport...for the masses...the universal language (excluding US) and the the NBA was just an extension of American pop culture. Well, I got to my senses after a while and let it go.

So, 2 nights ago, in a deep slumber, this story took place:I was chilling in Ghana living a regular life, and playing football among other things. Ghana is a football crazy country. So, Mike D decides to come to Ghana to pay me a visit. I was quite thrilled that I would get to introduce him to the place where I grew up....and....I could introduce him to the culture of football....haha. So, we went to a football park where there some fellas already playing and I told him to get in there in join them. He started heading the ball, and practising, getting into the groove of the game....the brainwashing was beginning. I decided to take a walk and leave him to join the game with the lads. Then after my short stroll, I returned to the park to check things out, only to be shocked. The football park had been transformed into a basketball court. Oh no....and istead of everyone engaging in a game of using their feet to kick the ball, they were bloody throwing the ball into hoops. WTF????I don't recall what happened after that. I think the disappointment (in my dream that is) actually stopped the dream....weirdness.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahaha... Dude, WTF indeed! I mean, imagine if that happened in real life. That would be an insult on so many levels. But how about this perspective? Perhaps, the idea is that whatever way things turn out, it's alright. I mean, one of the most cliched phrases that I've heard (advertisements notwithstanding) is "it's all good". And I used it so many times...but man, when you sit down to think about it, there's a message and a half for your ass staring you in the face! Woah...getting all worked up about nothing...was this how you felt when you wanted to show Mike D what a "passionate sport" football (no need to specify on this blog...I mean, anytime you start running by holding on to the ball with your hands disqualifies it as being 'football') is?

Well, that was quite a dream man...and I was kind of looking forward to the ending. Maybe it'll come to you in another dream. Blog on my friend!!!

AmitD said...

Ro, you one crazy mofo man!! Leave basketball alone goddamit and concentrate on playing with your own balls. Luckily for me I am a fan of both sports so it is ALL GOOD! I had a funky dream as well to be posted separately.

mogs said...

Rohin,

You're absolutely right in saying "getting all worked up for nothing." I realise now that I was searching for a sense of identity, which is somehwhat an example of materialism. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

Amit, I do like basketball as well, but I just don't hold the NBA in very high regard.